Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

038 -Art Cow


There is a big parcel of land near our home that seems to be used for an assortment of reasons. We have seen them sell Christmas trees, fireworks, pumpkins, palm trees, flowers and so on. It hosts everything from construction equipment auctions to what seemed to be dance lessons. There is always something going on, even if we can't quite figure out what it is. Not that long ago a cow showed up. Not a real cow, but a sculpture of one. We had no idea why it was there, and tonight I decided it was time to shoot it.

Melissa and I headed out and since it was dark I pulled the truck up and used my headlights to illuminate said cow. As I am shooting, I see bright lights and notice a very large tractor bearing down on me. Quickly, I abandon my photo shoot and run out of the way to move my truck so this tractor could get through. Turns out, it was the artist of the cow, Bryant Martinez coming to say hi. He is using the area to create and assemble different works of art for our upcoming 2nd Annual Festival of the Arts at Winthrop. http://winthropartfestival.com/ He was nice to chat with and told me of some other sculptures that would be finished soon and displayed. The festival is May 1st and 2nd, so if you are in the Tampa area be sure to stop by!

3 comments:

  1. So...I have this mental image, of you driving out there, black pants and shirt...black face paint. Suddenly, from out of no where, bright lights blind you from nearby. A farmer, the owner of the property, comes out to defend the cow against vandals and thieves.

    No?

    Maybe I need to go get a cup of coffee. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol - with a shotgun shouting "get off my land dang nabbit"!

    No...I was all good. :)

    ReplyDelete